Articles for a Perfect Day
social and ad widgets
52 Reasons to Visit the Queen Mary
How big is she? How old is she? Who built her and how long did she sail for? Learn about the fascinating history this GIANT oceanliner has. Here are 52 Reasons to visit as well as some fun facts:
1. History – The Queen Mary departed Southampton for her maiden voyage on May 27, 1936.
2. Arrived in Long Beach, California: 10:00 a.m. Saturday, December 9, 1967
3. Investigate Paranormal Activity – Prepare for the unexpected, visitors have often reported forms of unnatural activity, including audible sounds, smells, temperature changes and occasionally, visual activity aboard the Queen Mary.
4. Art Deco – Wander around the ship to see decoration, artwork and furniture in the Art Deco style.
5. Sir Winston’s -Winner of the The Southern California Restaurant Writers Golden Sceptre Award for Continental Cuisine. Dine at the elegant 5-star restaurant with a panoramic harbor view.
6. Celebrity-Walk the same halls as Winston Churchill, Queen Elizabeth, Bob Hope, Lucille Ball, & Liberace.
7. Stay at the hotel-No two rooms are alike! The hotel’s 314 original staterooms span three decks and include eight full suites. Each cabin is uniquely appointed, and embellishments vary to include rich wood paneling; Art Deco built-ins; original artwork; and, portholes for outside cabins.
8. Amazing Views.
9. Get Married, or come to the ship for a unique wedding
10. See the first-class swimming pool on the “R” Deck, it is now said to be haunted, but in it’s heyday it contained 108 tons of salt water, which could be emptied or filled in a span of 25 minutes.
11. Take a picture with one of the ship’s Captains.
12. See the enormity of the ship-The Queen Mary stretches 1,019.6 feet in length, taller than the Washington Monument (555 feet) and the Eiffel Tower (983.5 feet)
13. A drink at the Observation Bar taking in the spectacular view
14. Hear the horns-as far as 10 miles away.
15. Sunday Champagne Brunch in the Grand Salon, which used to be the ship’s original first class dining room
16. Engine Room
18. Get a Queen Mary smoke stack coffee mug
19. Officer’s Quarters
20. Wireless Room
21. See the masterpiece that took 300,000 craftsmen 3 years, 1 month and 23 days to complete
22. Festivals and events – wear a kilt at the Scottish Festival in February
23. Isolation Ward
24. Propeller Box displaying the only remaining propeller
25. Ghosts and Legends – special effects, walk-through show created aboard the ship that dramatizes actual paranormal and historic events that have been reported over the years.
26. Chelsea Restaurant – Fresh seafood specialties are the Chelsea’s hallmark. Savor harbor views, impeccable service and award-winning cuisine.
27. We are the only thing like us in the world
28. Shopping-Visit one of the unique shops located on the Promenade deck and pick up a unique treasure.
29. Ring in the New Year at the Annual Queen Mary New Year’s Eve event complete with fireworks.
30. Have an event aboard – it’s a unique place to have a corporate meeting, group retreat, or birthday dinner.
31. Visit the Art Gallery
32. World War II Tour – Learn the history of the ship that played an important role during the war transporting 15,883 troops and crew.
33. Ring the Queen Mary bell
34. Tibbies Cabaret & Dinner Theater
35. See the location of many Hollywood film sets
36. Live entertainment in the Observation Bar on the weekends.
37. Stroll on the Sun Deck at sunset
38. Walk a mile. Stroll on the Sun Deck anytime! 4x around=1 mile
39. Shipwreck – Annual Halloween Spectacular
40. Promenade Café – Have a casual lunch with a spectacular view
41. Listen to a pianist in the Lobby Bar
42. Meet one of the Captains of the ship
43. Lunch in the Hollywood Deli
44. Entertain the kids at the Captain’s Arcade
45. Pay a visit to one of the original Boiler Rooms
46. See the original anchor
47. Check out the lifeboats that surround the deck
48. Visit the adjacent Russian Cold-War Era Submarine, code name Foxtrot
49. Take panoramic pictures of the Long Beach Harbor
50. Get a world-famous shake at the shake shop
51. Log your ghost story in Book of Paranormal Activity
52. Stand at the bow and take your Titanic-style picture
Click here or more information about the Queen Mary.california travel, hotel, Queen Mary, Southern California Travel, travel tips
Posted in Travel Tips