Articles for a Perfect Day
social and ad widgets
Family: 10 Reasons to Take the Family to Ventura County Farm Day
Ventura County farms are partnering up to offer the public a rare inside look at the inner workings of farming and agriculture on Saturday, September 26. It’s a perfect weekend activity, Farm Day is sure to be a memorable and fun-filled adventure for the entire family. Here are ten more reasons to take the family out a farm this weekend.
- Unplug: Have the family trade in their tech for a day for a unique and local experience outdoors. Enjoy everything from authentic farmyard charm to the most advanced sustainable farming technology.
- Free: Over 20 working farms in Ventura County are participating in Farm Day, and there is no admission charge for anyone at any of them. Simply arrive and enjoy!
- Unique tours: Guided and self-guided tours will be available all day from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Discover farms that grow specialty produce including tomatoes, berries, onions, lemons, avocados, strawberries, oranges and figs, or visit other farms that feature extensive flower gardens, insect fairs, animal farms and landscape shrubbery.
- Educational: Visiting farms can help children understand the true origins of food, from the farmlands around them to the food on their tables. Adults can take on more complex issues such as sustainable, commercial farming techniques that turn produce waste into bio-fuel to generate electricity (Gills Onions does this).
- Hand-on activities: Farms will be offering fun, hands-on activities including picking strawberries, juicing citrus, crafting goat milk soap and tasting fresh olive oil.
- Meet the animals: Several farms are featuring meet and greets with farm animals such as goats, pigs, tortoises, chickens, donkeys, alpacas and rabbits.
- Discover the freshest produce: Taste and purchase produce right at the source – it’ll never be fresher!
- Support Ventura County agriculture: Did you know that Ventura County has an annual value of agricultural production that is ranked 10th in the nation (out of 3,144 counties)? Understanding local agriculture can help protect and promote future agricultural success.
- The Farm Day Mercantile Hub: The Farm Day Mercantile Hub at Hansen Agricultural Research and Extension Center will host a collection of local artisanal vendors displaying their goods and beautiful products. The market will include meat curers, bread makers, goat milk soaps, honey, jam, pickles, chocolate and more.
- Farm Day BBQ: To gracefully end of the day, from 4-9 p.m., Limoneira Ranch will host a rustic BBQ that features live music by Grammy Award-winning artist Todd Hannigan, a kiss-the-farmer photo booth, tractor rides, gourmet salads, craft beers, small batch wines, and barbeque fired up by the Young Farmers & Ranchers of Ventura County.
Ventura County Farm Day will take place on Saturday, September 26, 2015 at over 20 farms in Ventura County from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. For a list of participating farms, please visit www.VenturaCountyFarmDay.com. Tickets to the Limoneira BBQ are available for purchase online now. BBQ tickets are $35 for adults and include all activities, dinner and one alcoholic beverage. Additional alcoholic beverages will be available for purchase at $5 a glass. Children’s tickets, for attendees ages 12 and under, are available for $15.
For more information, please visit www.venturacountyfarmday.com.
More Ideas: Family
Summer in Sun Valley
... Read More
Family Fun in St. Johns
Most residents of Portland couldn’t tell you the best coffee in St. John’s. In fact, the old working-class neighborhood at the mouth of the Columbia feels like its own small town. Edged at the confluence of two rivers and popular with stu... Read More
10 Reasons to Take the Family to Ventura County Farm Day
Ventura County farms are partnering up to offer the public a rare inside look at the inner workings of farming and agriculture on Saturday, September 26. It’s a perfect weekend activity, Farm Day is sure to be a memorable and fun-filled adventu... Read More
The Perfect Day Hike on the Exquisite North Shore
... Read More
Bean Sprout Town
Did you know that Boston does not have a single big-name toy store within its boundaries? It's true. Ever since the flagship FAO Schwartz on Boylston, famous for the gigantic bronze teddy bear statue, closed its doors for good - bribing your kids in... Read More
Family Fun in Las Vegas
Kid-friendly is a term that can describe any number of theme parks and tourist attractions throughout the United States. Las Vegas is a different story. The 24/7 casino culture in Nevada's neon jungle is mostly thought of for the over 21 crowd. Mino... Read More